Do you know how to barter? In preparedness circles, items to Barter is the term that is used a lot to describe a post SHTF situation when the goods and services you need may no longer be available through normal channels.
Bartering is an age old strategy that is still in use by many people today and could be a good way to get the things you need if money is unavailable or less valuable during a crisis.
According to Wikipedia, ”barter is a method of exchange by which goods or services are directly exchanged for other goods or services without using a medium of exchange, such as money”.
Even though a lot of people usually think of bartering as something they would do when they are down an out, nothing could be further from the truth.
The practice of Bartering has been around for ages and it’s simply a shrewd way for you to acquire the goods and services you need under the radar screen.
There are a lot of items to barter in case of an emergency.
You should always have a few things stored that can to be bartered in case you are in an emergency situation and need some type of supplies. These are things that usually aren’t a part of your basic food and tools that you will need but are stored just in case you need to trade.
These can include:
- Foods – you might grow more than you need
- Medical Supplies – things like medicines, pain killers, antiseptics, bandages and other supplies
- Spirits – Whether you make it yourself or have some stored booze will always be a good trade item
- Personal Hygiene – products like soap, toothpaste, tooth brushes, razors and other hygiene products
- Tools – Either to trade if you have extra or to trade the use of
- Knowledge – If you have specialized knowledge like medical training, car repairs, building experience – these would all be extremely valuable
The idea that you should be getting is that the things that you can barter are only limited by your imagination. In a disaster situation where it could take weeks, months, or even years for things to return to normal Barter can be a valuable tool.